Plate Heat Exchanger Design Calculations
The plate heat exchanger is a heat exchange device with better effect. The average temperature difference method can reflect the use efficiency of the equipment.How is the average temperature difference method designed?
1. Calculate the unknown temperature or flow rate through the heat balance equation, and calculate the heat load too.
2. Select the appropriate plate type according to the heat exchange amount and flow rate. The plate type of the plate heat exchanger should be selected according to the specific working conditions, when the flow rate is large and the pressure drop is low, The plate type with a small resistance should be used,.Otherwise the plate type with slightly larger resistance coefficient can be used.
3. Estimate the heat exchange area of the plate heat exchanger according to the heat transfer amount.
4. Select the number of passes and channels. Initially select the number of cold and hot fluid passes and channels and calculate the flow velocity.
5. Claculate average temperature difference, convection heat transfer coefficient and total heat transfer coefficient. Determine the convective heat transfer coefficient of the cold and hot fluids separately, and calculate the total heat transfer coefficient.
6. Calculate the heat exchange area and return to recheck the heat exchange area.
7. Verify the pressure drop. The allowable pressure drop is often a limiting factor in the design of plate heat exchangers. The design always requires sufficient pressure drop. If the change of the heat transfer load, flow rate and allowable pressure drop cannot be coordinated by passes and channels, only an inefficient design can be made. If you are not getting a satisfactory phe design , you can consider changing the phe model.